The harsh weather conditions and habitual neglect over a long period of time can leave your deck looking less than impressive and at risk of permanent damage, if precautions are not regularly taken to clean and treat the deck.
Deck repair is a common question we get asked about by many homeowners. It is imperative to provide the right care for timber surfaces all-year round to reduce the impact of seasonal changes, and a little TLC not only ensures your deck has a ‘good as new’ appearance all year around, it minimises the work required next summer!
The key visible signs of an ageing deck include:
- Loss of colour (in particular greying)
- Cracks and splinters
- Funghi and mould
With the summer entertaining season just around the corner, Cabot’s is here to help. With our handy tips, coupled with the right range of products, replenishing and protecting your deck from further damage has never been quicker and easier.
Step 1: Clean
- Mould and mildew can grow on any exterior surface, so firstly you need to create a line of defence against these surface contaminators. By eliminating the impurities and surface contaminants, you ensure a smooth finish when you apply your refreshing deck oil
- Use a mix of Cabot’s Deck Clean – the essential preparation product that cleans and rejuvenates new and old exterior timber surfaces – with water in your Cabot’s Deck Hand Bucket
- Gently scrub the timber with the Cabot’s Deck Prep and then wash off the Deck Clean with a high pressure hose
Step 2: Nourish
- Now that you’ve cleaned and prepped your timber, it’s time to nourish it. Be sure to wait until the surface is dry and only use specially designed woodcare products on timber surfaces. In addition, make sure the weather outside is not too cold as the product will not dry, altermiately if it’s too hot it will dry too quickly
- A water-based product like Cabot’s Aqua Deck enhances the natural colour of timber. It is also highly durable and is a low odour decking oil that is designed to provide exceptional durability to all exterior surfaces. In addition, it lasts twice as long as traditional decking oils
- Apply Aquadeck liberally to the entire length of the timber board using Cabot’s Deck Coat lambswool applicator to ensure there are no streaks, lines or blend marks. This is to be applied approximately 2-3 boards at a time
Step 3: Rejuvenate
- Allow two hours drying time between coats
- Once your first coat is dry, grab your lambswool applicator and repeat the process for a refreshed, young looking timber
- When you’re done, wash your tools thoroughly in water but wait at least eight hours before replacing furniture on your revitalised deck
Step 4: Enjoy!
This three-step timber regime is a simple but necessary process and should be repeated every year to ensure your deck is well protected from the damaging elements and to ensure it continues to look good all year long.
Refer to link below to view a full video on how to prepare your deck for coating!
How to prepare your deck with Cabot's